Creating a large amount of images is time consuming: whether it is for multiple social media networks, articles on your blog or even the plethora of advertising formats...
Most of the time each visual layout will stay identical. However, updating the content (background images, texts, ...) becomes quite painful as you ramp up the amount of visual necessary to scale your marketing needs.
Thanks to the Abyssale's Airtable application, these kinds of tedious and repetitive tasks are now a piece of cake! Design your template once in Abyssale and auto-generate images for all of your records with the press of a single button!
- You can also import Google Sheets/spreadsheet files into Airtable. Airtable provides an easy way to import them (https://support.airtable.com/hc/en-us/sections/200928025-Importing-and-adding-data)
- Airtable Apps are only included in Paid plans (https://airtable.com/pricing)
Setup Airtable & Abyssale
For this tutorial, we will use:
- Abyssale's Airtable application
- The Airtable base called: "Social Post"
- The "Post - Article Sharing" Abyssale template (Visible here)
1. Let's copy the Airtable base:
To get started we will create a copy of this Airtable base which we created to show Abyssale's core capabilities.
- Go to https://airtable.com/shrW52vMMYJbDCyEu/tbl4ekKNySr0Q3nAW
Use this dataon the top-right corner
- Select one of your Workspace &
+ Create a new base in...in the
- Remember these, workspace & base, you just created for our next step.
2. Let's copy the banner template to your own list
- Go to Abyssale > Templates Library
- Click on the
- Find the
Post - Article sharingand click
Use Template, this will copy this Abyssale template inside your own Template list & make it available to be used inside your Airtable application.
Finally, let's install the Abyssale Airtable application:
Follow the instructions located in the following article: https://help.abyssale.com/article/85-how-to-get-started-with-abyssale-airtable
Just remember to install the Abyssale application in the workspace & base you created before in step 1.
Great, now you're ready to start generating images from your data!
Generate images from your Airtable records
The "Image Generation Settings" of the Abyssale application is split in 3 parts:
- Airtable Content: the location of your Airtable data.
- Abyssale Template: the Abyssale template (design) to generate your images.
- Mapping between Content & Template: allows you to select which Airtable record (aka, your data) goes in which template field on Abyssale.
On the base,
- Airtable content: Select "Scheduled Post" as table & "Grid view" as view. That will allow to select records located in this table/view.
- Abyssale template: Select the previously created template. If you haven't changed its name, it should be "Post - Article sharing - Copy"
- Once done, the Mapping between Content & Template appears.
How to map your Airtable records to your Abyssale template
The template you previously created looks like this and has 5 layers:
text_category: "Tech blog"
text_title: "Securing your personal data via Encryption"
text_employee: "Kasey Newman, Tech Manager"
logo_flyaway: "The logo" on the bottom left
image_picture: "The image" on the right part
When we look at our Airtable records, the goal will be to:
- Fill the
text_categorytemplate layer with the
Text - CategoryAirtable records
- Fill the
Text - Title
- Fill the
Text - Employee
- Change the
image_picturetemplate layer with the
Image - Picturerecords
- Do NOT change the logo.
- Save the generated image in the last Airtable column:
Output banner (Abyssale Generation)
As a bonus, we will also colorize the text aspect of
text_category from the
Color - Category records.
PS: Only 1 mapping is required before being able to start generating images.
To activate a mapping, just enable the Abyssale layer name on the left part and select what Airtable record you want to use on this layer.
The final configuration looks like this:
Once done, click
Generate Banners. A modal will appear, showing the number of API calls that will be used during this generation. Accepts it and the generation will start.
Generation of Images
Your images are generated one by one. The generated images will be available in the last column named
Output Banner (and can be downloaded if needed).
Once the generation is done, you can go back to the
Image Generation Settings & start a new batch of generation, here are some things you could do:
- Try another design or the same design but with different dimension (To achieve this select another Abyssale template as a starting point)
- Use other data to fill your template (Achieve this by select another Airtable table & view)
- Try different mappings
Hope you enjoyed saving hours by leveraging the power of creative automation applied to image generation.
Now you've mastered the Abyssale Airtable application, your designers will thank you!
They're better off spending time on creative tasks (i.e. building pixel perfect templates on Abyssale's editor). You as a marketer can focus on making the most out of their design across multi-channel marketing initiatives.
Abyssale empowers teams to focus their work on what they do best, whether it's creative, marketing or other. We're glad you're on this journey with us 🎉